Wednesday, January 2, 2019

The Blessing of the Dark

   “When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.  For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.”  (Isaiah 43: 2 – 3)

   There are times when I feel as if I am in a dark place.  My prayer life seems frustrated; my faith weakened.  These are the times when I turn to God with increased urgency, seeking to come from the dark; to return to His light.

   I’ve wondered why God leaves me in the dark at times.  Maybe it’s because I've become too comfortable in my relationship with Him.  Perhaps I have lost the wonder and joy of His presence.  By seemingly leaving me alone for a time my complacency becomes obvious; I recognize that I might have been taking God, His presence and His blessings for granted.

   The darkness will recede; the light will return.  The joy and happiness when the dark is overcome by His light far exceeds the pain the darkness may have brought.  I are reminded of my need for His presence in my life.  I rejoice in my relationship with our Lord.

   I am confident that God never leaves me even though I may at times feel as though He has.  He is always there, guiding me, using the darkness to grow my faith.  The darkness will depart and the light of God will return. 

Lord, even in the dark You are there.
I am not alone, You are with me in all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment