Friday, February 8, 2019

Angels Among Us

   “Let brotherly love continue.  Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” (Heb 13: 1 – 2)

   Several years ago while driving home in a hard rain I noticed a man walking along the road a few yards ahead.  He wasn’t hitch-hiking, he was just hunkered down walking along.  I’m not sure why but I felt I needed to give him a ride. I stopped and motioned for him to get in.  I asked where he was headed; he just smiled and indicated that he couldn’t speak or hear.  We rode on in silence for several miles.  I came to an intersection and indicated that I was going straight; he motioned that he was going to the right.  He shook my hand in thanks, got out of the car and went on his way.

   I’ve thought about that gentleman many times over the years.  Each time I read the passage from Hebrews above I’m reminded of him.  When I hear or read about those who’ve had similar experiences, I’m reminded again of the ride I gave to this man.  Sometimes I wonder, did I care for an angel that day?  I’ll never know, but at least I helped someone who needed help.

   We are called to help those who are in need as a way of helping Jesus.  Each of us is loved by God and we are to share that love.  Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta often said that she was tending Jesus in the poor and dying that she cared for.  She saw the face of our Lord in their faces.

   Sadly, many are fearful of helping strangers.  There have been cases of those who have stopped to help someone being beaten, robbed and even killed.  I believe this is Satan trying to keep us from doing God’s will.  If we won’t help others out of fear, we can’t share God’s love and caring.

   I would never encourage anyone to risk their safety.  I only pray that one day we may be able to help others without fear.

There are so many who need Your love.
Those who are in distress and need of help.
Give us the courage to help when we can.
Keep us safe in sharing your Love.

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment