Tuesday, February 26, 2019


Tiny Seeds

   I do not enjoy yard work.  I never have and probably never will.  Pulling weeds, cutting, edging, raking; I want none of that.  Of course, that doesn’t stop these things from needing to be done.  The mowing and edging I have done by others.  Weeding the flower beds is left to me.  I enjoy having the flowers so I must weed whether I like it or not.

   Even though I do not look forward to getting down on my knees and pulling weeds from the flower beds I’ve found a benefit of doing so.  There is very little to occupy my mind in this choir and I find it easy to contemplate my Lord while taking care of the plants of His creation.

   When I consider the beauty of what God has given us in this world, flowers rank pretty high in my estimation.  I am amazed that a tiny seed planted in good soil can produce such beautiful flowering plants.  Our food supply also depends on the fact that the smallest of seeds can become large food bearing plants such as corn or wheat.  An apple would not exist without the little seed that became the tree.

   Faith is much the same.  A tiny seed of faith can grow into a faith that will see me through any trial or distress.  A faith that will lead me home to my God.  The seed, however, must be planted in good soil and cared for if it is to grow.  The soil of our soul is enriched through our desire to serve God.  Prayer is the fertilizer that nourishes the seed of faith planted there.  The word of God, prayerfully read and considered, provides the rain needed for our faith to grow.  Jesus Christ is the life-giving sunshine.

   I still don’t enjoy yard work, but I love the opportunity to consider and contemplate my Lord and God in the effort.  The quiet and solitude brings me closer to Him.

Father, You are in all things.
We need only look and You are there.
Your glory shines throughout Your creation.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment