Monday, February 4, 2019


I Must Decrease

   “He must increase, but I must decrease.”  (John 3: 30)

   The disciples of John the Baptist were concerned that some were leaving him and going to Jesus.  John knew his mission was coming to an end.  He knew that Jesus was the Messiah and gladly saw his own ministry decrease while Jesus’ increased.

   The religious leaders of the time were afraid their followers would also leave and follow Jesus.  Unlike John, they did not accept Jesus as the Messiah and did all in their power to thwart His mission, finally having Him crucified, trying to eliminate Him altogether.  They refused to decrease so that the Messiah could increase.

   Sometimes I am too concerned with  earthly matters.  I am frustrated by society and its’ constant denial and war against Christianity.  I truly believe that we are battling Satan and that he has most of society in his army of evil.  I sometimes fear losing the battle, but my worries are misplaced; Christ has already won the war.  Like a wisp of smoke that disappears with the breeze this world will pass away.
 
  I place too much emphasis on time; when will our society see its’ errors; when will Jesus come to set things right?  It’s not for me to know, it’s only for me to trust that it will happen.  I have no idea when He will come again, but I know that He will come for me at the moment of my death.  In fact, he has come to me already and lives within me.

   I, like John, must recognize that my mission is to allow Christ to use me for His.  Only in this way can I serve my Lord faithfully and truthfully.  I must decrease while He must increase.

Lord, I empty myself before You.
I beg of You to fill me with the Holy Spirit.
This world and its’ concerns will pass away.
Lead me always toward eternal life with You.

Amen

“… it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me…”  (Gal 2: 30)

No comments:

Post a Comment