Monday, February 18, 2019


Hidden Treasure

   “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.” (Matt 13: 44)

   The field I think of when I read these words is the field of self.  My life is the field in which I need to find the treasure of God’s kingdom.  His kingdom resides within each of us.  He is there even in those who do not recognize it and would argue that it doesn’t exist.  The treasure is sometimes hidden by the weeds of sin, hiding it from us.

   What is the price of this treasure?  Is it even possible to purchase it?  A man asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life.  Even though he had followed the commandments Jesus told him there was one more thing he must do, “Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” (Luke 18: 22).

   The treasure available to us by following Christ is beyond value while the trivial pursuits of this world are of no value at all in the big picture.  The big house, the new car, the cash in the bank are all perhaps things we can strive to achieve, but once they become the focus of our life we have transferred our allegiance from the one true God to the gods of this world.  Devotion to these false gods is what we must be willing to give up if we are to find the hidden treasure.

   What would I give to know the joy of finding the treasure of God’s kingdom?  What earthly desires am I willing to forego in order to become a part of His kingdom; to follow His way?  Unless I am willing to give it all, I am not worthy to belong to the family of God.

Father, I want to live for you,
To be part of Your kingdom.
The false gods of this world pull me away.
Give me the strength to reject all but You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment