Monday, February 25, 2019


Understanding

   “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up my childish ways.” (1 Cor 13: 11)

   Faith and spiritual understanding must progress just as any learning must.  As a child we are told bible stories.  Short, easily understood versions of biblical events.  If we are to better understand our faith and develop a deeper, more meaningful relationship with God we must move past the basics and get into the deeper meanings and understanding of God’s word.  The bible is not just a book to be read, it is a way of life to be lived.  There is a depth to scripture that we miss if we fail to seek meaning rather than just knowing the words on the page.

   On the cross Jesus said, “My God, my God, why have your forsaken me?” (Matt 27: 46).  Some see only the pain of abandonment perhaps because of our sins which Christ took upon Himself.  But that statement is also the first line of Psalm 22, which clearly speaks of the Messiah, His rejection and eventual glory.  The priests, Pharisees and religious leaders present at the crucifixion were well-versed in the Psalms; they would have immediately recognized the reference and it’s meaning with respect to Jesus.

   Never quit learning, never quit reading scripture.  In quiet prayer seek the depth of God’s word.  You will be amazed at the spiritual growth to be gained.

Lord, help me better understand Your word.
Lead me deeper into their meaning.
May my knowledge and faith grow.
May I come to know and love You more and more.

Amen

   “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.  Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.”  (1 Cor 13: 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment