Tuesday, February 19, 2019


Deep Faith

   I think faith can be compared with learning to swim in the ocean.  At first even wading at the edge of the sea can be scary.  As we become more comfortable we may venture out to knee deep or even waist deep water.  Once we learn to swim we lose at least some of our fear of deeper water, confident in our ability to stay afloat even when we can’t touch the bottom.  An accomplished swimmer may even feel at ease swimming from a ship far out at sea where the depth of the water isn’t even known.

   Faith is similar in that our knowledge and confidence in our faith needs to develop and grow if we are to deepen our faith.  Just going to church on Sunday is comparable to wading in the shallows.  It’s very good, but we must be willing to take greater risks if our faith is to grow in depth.  As our faith deepens we may feel called to participate in one of the various ministries of the church; deepening our faith by sharing it with others.

   Our faith can grow as much as we are willing to allow.  God will provide all the strength we need in our efforts.   As our faith grows and develops, we may be the ones who are thrilled to dive from the boat into unfathomable waters, confident that our Lord is with us and will protect us in all things.

   Even an accomplished swimmer realizes there is always the risk of drowning.  Faith, in some ways, encourages us to drown; to willingly die to self and give all to God, confident in His love and mercy.

Increase my faith I pray.
Make it as deep as the oceans,
As high as the mountains.
Let me die to self and live for You.

Amen

   “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”  (Gal 2: 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment