Thursday, February 11, 2021

 A Restless Heart 

   “You made us for Yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You.” (St. Augustine) 

   We were created to be members of God’s family, to rest in His love and care.  When sin entered the world we lost our familial relationship with the Creator.  We have been seeking to find that peace, that rest we were intended to have, ever since.

   I’ve known many people in my lifetime, but most have not truly been at rest in their heart.  They were constantly seeking more, more money, more fame, more anything that they thought would bring them happiness.  But more of earthly treasures is never enough.  The millionaire wants to have two million, the bronze medal winner won’t rest until they achieve gold, the famous will do most anything to become more famous or, sadly, infamous.  They will never be at rest.

   The gospel of Luke recounts the parable of the rich fool, a man who had success in his life but wasn’t happy and always wanted more (Luke 12: 16 – 21).  He worked and worked to attain more and more thinking he was gaining happiness and the ability to rest in his wealth.  Then God said to him, “You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?” (Luke 12: 20).

   The lesson for me is to quit worrying about the fickle treasures and joys of this world and concern myself with eternity.  All that I have is from the generosity and love of God.  If I have done any good it is because He has placed the good within me.  Life is short, eternity is forever.  There is no rest in this world, my rest is in my Lord. 

The treasures of the world are fleeting.

You and Your love are the eternal treasures.

Let me never turn to the world for comfort.

Let me always rest in You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment