Saturday, February 13, 2021

 The Right Path 

   There are days when I’m not certain of the path I’m on.  Is it the right path, the one that will lead me to God?  I know there are many paths and I believe that God has a chosen path for each of us.  But how am I to know if I am truly on that path?

   Questions arise; am I doing enough, am I sincere in my faith, am I using God’s many blessings as He would have me use them?  I know that I try, and I hope that my efforts are pleasing to Him.  Still, sometimes I wish He would just clearly say “This is what I want for you.”  It just doesn’t work like that.  So I continue to try, offering all I can and hoping it’s enough.

   Thomas Merton, a Trappist Monk, wrote a prayer that I often call to mind when I’m questioning whether I’m on the right path: 

   “My Lord God, I have no idea of where I’m going.  I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end.  Nor do I really know myself and the fact that I think I’m following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.  

   But I believe that my desire to please you does in fact please you.  And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.  I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.  And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.  

   Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.  I will not fear for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.” 

   My hope is that this simple prayer may bring you peace of heart in times of turmoil and give you comfort in the knowledge that God is always with us and will lead us always on the right path, the path that leads to Him. 

Lead me rightly Lord.

Never let me stray.

Though I may not know the way.

I know that You will guide me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment