Monday, February 1, 2021

 The Unexplainable 

   Moses asked God, “If I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what do I tell them?  God replied to Moses: ‘I am who I am.’” (Exodus 3: 13 – 14).  God, quite simply, is who He is.

   We try so hard to understand God, to explain Him.  We want to know Him better and refuse to accept that we can never truly know Him in this life.  So we keep trying to explain what is unexplainable.  We sometimes call Him the Supreme Being, but He isn’t a being.  Beings can be compared to other beings, God is incomparable.  He is "being" itself, all else comes into being because of Him.

   Try as I may to understand, it is beyond my human capability to understand and explain God.  What I can do is accept Him, recognizing that God is and there is no other explanation needed.  Trying to define the undefinable is a sure path to frustration and disappointment.

   I look to Psalm 139 for guidance on better realizing the God who is simply “I Am”.  “Where can I go from your spirit?  From your presence, where can I flee?” (Psalm 139: 7 – 8).  God is within me, there is no where I can go to be unseen by Him.  There is nothing I can say, think, or do that isn’t known to God even before it is known to me.

   “Even before a word is on my tongue, Lord, you know it all. (Psalm 139: 4).  St. Augustine said God is closer to us than we are to ourselves.  Everything about me is already known by Him, he knows me far better than I know myself. 

   Though I can’t understand, define, or explain God, I know Him.  I know Him within my being, in my heart and my soul.  I know Him in my life.  I know Him in His creation.  The rest will have to wait until I am in His presence when all that is unknown will become known. 

Someday, when this life is over,

All will be known.

Until then I trust in You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment