Tuesday, February 2, 2021

 He Came Among Us 

   “And the word became flesh and dwelt among us,” (John 1: 14) 

   “Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.”  (Phil 2: 6) 

   I am always in awe of the humility of our Lord; the great love He has for us.  The Son of God gave up His glory for a while and became like me in all things but sin.  He knew joy and happiness as well as pain and sorrow.  Finally He suffered betrayal, abandonment, scourging and death on a cross.  All because of His love for me and for you.

   Try to imagine the President of the United States going to the most poverty-stricken area of the country, taking up residence and quietly living among the poorest of the poor, sharing in their poverty and need.  That would be a small sacrifice compared with the sacrifice Jesus made for us.

   Imagine the Pope or any prominent religious figure silently accepting scourging, humiliation, and crucifixion for the love of his people, all the while asking God to forgive those who were committing these acts.  Jesus did exactly that; our Savior, the Son of God, willingly accepted brutality and death from those He had come to save.

   I can never repay such a sacrifice or return such a love.  It’s beyond my ability as a sinful human to pay the price for the sins Jesus died to forgive.  I’m not able to love to the degree that God loves, a love so great that He would become man and die for me.

   All I can do offer my life to Him, always aware of the love and mercy of the God who would become man, suffer, and die to offer me the opportunity of eternal life in His presence.  The most I can so is to make every effort to live each day according to His will. 

Lord, Your love is so great.

Your mercy has no limits.

I can never repay.

I can only strive to live my life for You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment