Wednesday, February 10, 2021

 In Silence 

   “The beginning of prayer is silence.  If we really want to pray we must first learn to listen, for in the silence of the heart God speaks.” (St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, “Do Something Beautiful for God”) 

   I live alone.  My house is quiet unless I make it otherwise.  When my wife first passed away the silence was nearly unbearable.  I would have the television on even though I wasn’t watching it just to have noise in the house.

   How things change.  I have come to love the silence and no longer need, or even want, to have noise in the house.  If the television is on it is usually on a music channel quietly playing classical music.

   The lesson I have learned is that in the silence, in the quiet of my heart, is where I most readily find God.  I sometimes believe that noise is a creation of Satan designed only to detract from the quietness of the Lord.  When I am inundated with noise it’s harder to pray, to listen, and to be with God.  I now better understand why Jesus so often went away by Himself to pray and to be alone with the Father.  

   Even the simple requirements of life are better without the noise.  Just maintaining the cleanliness of the house, cooking meals, and other routine chores seem less burdensome.  In the quiet of my mind even the chores in some ways become prayer.

   I sometimes lose myself in the silence and in prayer.  The closeness I feel to God is overwhelming at times and I don’t want to leave.  My prayer time has increased and even when not in prayer life is calmer in the quiet.  My love of silence and tranquility has changed my life and I thank God, for it has been a change of tremendous good. 

In the quiet You are there.

In silence I come to You.

I come to listen, to hear Your word.

I come to give myself to You. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment