Wednesday, February 17, 2021

 Ash Wednesday 

   “For you are dust, and to dust you will return.” (Gen 3:19) 

   Today I am reminded of my mortality.  This mortal body of mine will not last, it will return to the earth from which mankind was formed.  The season of Lent is intended to urge me to re-evaluate myself and where I am in my relationship with the Lord.

   It’s important for me to consider my mortality.  Even more important is to consider that my soul will live forever; it is immortal.  There is nothing more crucial than preparing myself for the time when this ragged tent of a body is folded, and my soul is loosed into eternity.

   The choice of how to live my life is mine alone.  If I’ve lived in Christ and done my best to follow Him my soul will be taken into Him, experiencing perfect joy and happiness throughout eternity.  If I’ve lived for self, abandoning His ways, eternal darkness and loss of God awaits.

   Lent is a time for me to dig deeper into myself; to ensure I am doing all within my power to prepare for eternity and to rely on God’s great love and mercy to forgive my failings.  In His wisdom He knows that I’m imperfect and cannot be made perfect in this life.  In His mercy God forgives. 

Lord I try but I fail.

I look inward and see sin.

My faults are many.

In Your mercy sustain me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment