Thursday, February 18, 2021

 Changing the World

 

   “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples.” (St. Mother Teresa, “Do Something Beautiful for God”) 

   I’ve often written of the fact neither I, nor anyone else, can do very much to change the world.  But, like Saint Mother Teresa, we can certainly cast stones into the water to create ripples.  I believe if enough stones are cast we can create a tsunami of faith and love to overcome the evil in the world.

   We won’t change things by complaining or belittling those who disagree with us.  Even when they attack us and our faith, we are to love them just as Jesus commanded.  It is not in retaliation or vengeance that we can make change but only in our love, even for our enemies.

   Jesus told us, “This is how all will know you are my disciples , if you have love for one another.” (John 13: 35).  Love is compassion and forgiveness, not name-calling and hatred.  As hard as it can be to follow these words, I believe it is the only way to change the world.

   If you doubt that love is the way, you need to re-read the gospel accounts of Jesus’ passion and death.  Out of pure love He chose to die for us so that we might overcome death; to rise for us as so that we might know that we too will rise again; to ascend into heaven, promising to come back and take us Himself.

   “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” (Matt 28: 20).  If we place our hope in this promise and love one another, I believe we can change the world. 

Lord You changed the world by Your love.

You love us with an eternal love.

Help us to share that love with others.

Help us change the world by our love. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment