Saturday, February 20, 2021

 

Follow Me 

   “As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth.  ‘Follow me.’ he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.” (Matt 9: 9) 

   A simple request, “Follow me.”  No details, no information about where they might be going, just come with me.  And Matthew the tax collector, got up, changed his life, and followed Him.

   Jesus called sinners and they followed.  He called the common people, and they followed.  Those who should have readily followed, those of the religious elite, refused.  They rejected Him because He was not the Messiah they wanted, one who would take revenge on the Romans and restore the kingdom of Israel.  Jesus would instead establish the kingdom of God.

   He still calls the sinners and the common people today.  He called me and He calls you to come and follow Him.  He gives no details of what following Him might bring except that once this life is over we will share with Him the kingdom God has prepared for believers.

   Matthew had a choice to make.  We have the same choice, to follow or to ignore.  Choices have consequences; this one more than any other.  Will we place our trust in the Lord and follow or reject Him?  Each of us must make our own choice.  

   I choose to follow Christ.  I recognize that I often fail to follow properly; sinfulness is a part of humanity.  But I know that God is a forgiving God who knows how imperfect I am but loves me anyway.  He forgives my failings when I come to Him in sorrow for my sins and repent. 

You called Matthew to follow You.

You call each of us to also follow.

Fill us with Your Holy Spirit.

Help us respond to Your call and follow. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment