Friday, February 19, 2021

The Way of the Cross 

   Lent is a time to reflect upon our Lord and the great sacrifice He has made for us; to consider all He has done and to give Him thanks and glory.

   One of the most meaningful ways to reflect on the passion and death of our Lord is the Stations of the Cross (Via Dolorosa).  It memorializes the path Jesus took on His way to Calvary, from the time He was condemned to death, to the carrying of His cross through the streets of Jerusalem on His way to Golgotha, ending with His crucifixion, death, and placement in the tomb.

   Catholic Churches all over the world will be walking the Stations of the Cross in their parishes to reflect on His passion.  Parishioners will pause at each of the 14 stations, pray, and silently reflect on each step of the way to the cross.  If you’ve never done so, I encourage joining in this holy procession.

   In the Holy Lands, the way of the cross is walked by pilgrims and tourists on the same streets and ways that our Lord walked on His way to Calvary.  I may never have the opportunity to walk in the Holy Land, but I can walk with Him in my heart and mind in the silence of my home.  I can silently reflect on His passion, giving thanks and glory to my Savior.

   For me so much of Lent is best celebrated in silent reflection.  In my heart I can join Him on His final walk.  I can place myself in the events, perhaps seeing myself as Simon of Cyrene, helping Him carry His cross.  I can stand with the Blessed Mother, Mary of Magdala, and St. John at the foot of His cross as He asked the Father to forgive even those who were putting Him to death.

   After this forty days we will rejoice in the resurrection of our Lord on Easter Sunday.  Until then, let’s silently and solemnly consider the pain and suffering He endured for us and offer Him our Lenten sacrifice of love. 

During Lent we sacrifice.

We offer ourselves to You.

Let us walk with You.

In life, in death, and in eternity. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment