Monday, February 8, 2021

 Pruning the Branches 

   “I am the true vine, and my father is the vine grower.  He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.” (John 15: 1 – 2) 

   As much as I dislike yard work it seems every time I do it I discover something that relates to my spiritual life.

   Winter in Ocala Florida is usually quite mild.  We may have a few nights in the mid 30’s and even a few hours at freezing, but it is short-lived.  This year has been different, we’ve had several nights in the low thirties or even below.  The cold has also lasted longer than usual.  Many plants have suffered as a result.

   There is an area in my yard that is planted in blue plumbago.  They grow quickly and bloom all summer long with minimal care.  Due to the colder weather this year I feared they were dead and would have to be replaced.  But when I began pruning the dead back the green became obvious.  I have no doubt that they will recover and be as beautiful as ever.

   It occurred to me that my life is similar.  As long as things go well I am at ease in the love of God and His care.  Occasionally, however, Satan plants some seeds within me, seeds of sin and discontent.  Just as the cold weather affected my plants, the seeds sown by the evil one affect my spiritual life.  Those seeds must be uprooted and thrown out so that the beauty of God’s love can bloom.

   We are always at risk of evil being strewn within our life.  Weeds intended to choke out our spiritual life, to turn us from God.  We must prune the garden within, we must give the vines of Jesus room to grow and produce fruit.  If not, like an uncared for plant, we may die spiritually.

   I doubt that my gardening analogies will make me like yard work, but by reflecting on them maybe I can better tend the spiritual garden within. 

I am constantly as risk from Satan.

He plants the seeds of sin within me.

Strengthen me to uproot the evil seeds.

To properly prune my soul and produce good fruit. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment