Sunday, March 14, 2021

 Following Christ 

   “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9: 23) 

   On the surface this scripture might cause one to think that following Jesus is going to be arduous, difficult, and even painful.  Yet in another place Jesus tells us, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.” (Matt 11: 29 – 30).

   So, which is it; difficult and arduous or easy, with a light burden leading to rest?  I believe it is very much both.  There will be times of happiness and joy, but also times of pain and sorrow.  Our life is never one or the other but some of each.  Our path in following Christ is no different.

   In my mind the burdens and difficulties that may come are far out-weighed by the joy and happiness that is also mine.  I sometimes consider that if I never suffer I will never know happiness.  When it is bitterly cold, we appreciate the warmth of spring; in the heat of summer, we look forward to the cooling temperatures of fall.  In the same way the difficulties we may face make us better appreciate the joys that are also part of life.

   Anything worth having is worth the pain and hard work that sometimes comes with attaining it.  I have worked hard in my life to provide for myself and my family.  Why should I not expect to have to work just as hard to provide for my eternal life?

   There are many joys to be had in this life, but none that compare with the joys of eternal life in the presence of my Lord.  Whatever the cost, no matter how difficult, the reward is worth it. 

Sometimes life is joyful

Sometimes it is hard.

Be with me in both Lord. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment