Wednesday, March 17, 2021

 Into the Stillness 

   “He said to them, ‘Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.’” (Mark 6: 31) 

   How I wish I could have been there to come away with Jesus to a quiet place and rest with Him.  Throughout the gospels we see Jesus going to a deserted place for prayer; to be in communion with the Father.  In my own life I’ve found that a quiet place is a blessing to be sought.

   The world is not a pleasant place at times.  There is far too much evil, far too much hatred and bias.  It seems humanity has lost touch with itself; no one is willing to listen to another but only insists on their own way.  This is not an environment in which society can survive.

   I need a quiet place to rest from the world.  To spend time with Jesus, simply being there with Him.  Many times no words are spoken, no thoughts except of love and the joy of His presence.  When the world begins to get me down, it is in the quiet that I find peace of heart.

   I believe we all need time away from the world.  Time to look deeply into ourselves and call upon the Lord to help us.  Silence is a blessing given by God, a time to refresh our spirit and calm our anxieties.  Only with Him can true peace be found.

   Sometimes I wish I could be like the early desert Fathers, just find a cave somewhere and live with God alone.  Since that isn’t possible, I must take advantage of every opportunity to reject the chaos of the world and turn to the simplicity and beauty of God, to come away to a quiet place.

   The Beatles recorded a song entitled “All You Need Is Love”, a simple little song that reminds me a bit of Ecclesiastes.  In the end they had it right, love really is all we need, the love of God and love for one another    . 

Father, in Your love is peace.

In Your mercy comfort.

In the stillness You come to me.

In the stillness we are one. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment