Friday, March 26, 2021

 Two Lives, One Choice 

   “For to me life is Christ and death is gain.” (Phil 1: 21) 

   St. Paul considered that death was gain because it would mean eternal life with Christ.  Yet he viewed life as beneficial to those he was bringing to the Lord through his ministry and evangelization.  Faced with the choice he didn’t seem quite sure which he preferred.

   The same question concerns all Christians, myself included.  Why would I want to remain in this world when I could be in paradise with the Lord?  To leave behind the chaos and evil of a fallen world would seem to be the best choice.  And yet, the choice isn’t mine.

   As a Christian I am also called to honor and accept God’s plan for me; a plan that I don’t know and will most likely never know in this lifetime.  But knowing isn’t necessary, acceptance is.  He will decide when this life is over; He will determine the day and hour to call me home.

   Therefore, I live my life desiring heaven, knowing that this is God’s will, but never knowing when.  There are days when I truly hope my time is soon, but there are also days when I look forward to many more years with family and friends.  Though I may not know why things are as they are, I’m content to leave those decisions to God.

   Life or death.  They are not for me to decide.  I am to willingly and lovingly accept His plan for both.  I’ve no way of knowing when He will call, but I look forward to whatever His plan may be.

 

Your plans are beyond me.

I don’t know or understand them.

Let me follow them whatever they may be.

Accepting Your will and awaiting Your call.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment