Saturday, March 27, 2021

 The Things of the World 

   “Do not love the world or the things of the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (1 John 2: 15) 

   I have struggled some with the concept expressed by St. John above.  The things of this world were created by God and so are good.  Why shouldn’t I love the world or the things of the world?

   I’ve come to believe that it is completely acceptable to love God’s creation, the world and all that is in it.  The problem comes when I begin to love the creation more than the creator.  It’s the same principal as the warning that St. Paul expressed when he wrote, “For the love of money is the root of all evils, and some people in their desire for it have strayed from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.” (1 Tim 6: 10).

   Money, property, things and possessions of this world can be the gifts of God and God doesn’t give evil gifts.  But when the love or the desire of the gifts is greater than the love and desire for the giver, we make them evil.  Our lust after worldly goods and pleasures becomes the focus of our longings and tears us away from God.

   “What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?” (Luke 9: 25).  When I lose myself in the desire and yearning for the things of this world, I lose my soul.  My sinful mortality desires things, my soul desires God.  I can accept and give thanks for the earthly blessing of God but must never forget that only my soul is immortal.  The things of this world can’t bring eternal happiness.  Only by losing myself in God can I gain the joys and happiness of eternal life in His presence. 

You bless me so greatly.

It’s easy to love the things of this world.

But the things of this world are fleeting.

Only You are eternal. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment