Tuesday, March 30, 2021

 There is Forgiveness 

   “Peter said to him in reply, ‘Though all may have their faith in you shaken, mine will never be.’  Jesus said to him, ‘Amen, I say to you, this very night before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.’” (Matt 26: 32 – 34) 

   In the courtyard where Jesus was brought before the Sanhedrin after His arrest Peter denied Jesus three times, even swearing that he never knew Him.  When the rooster crowed he remembered Jesus’ words and “He went out and began to weep bitterly.” (Matt 26: 75)

   Peter’s denial and the betrayal of Judas tell of two ways to respond to the sins I commit.  Judas, though He recognized his sin of betrayal, killed himself, failing to understand that forgiveness could have been his for the asking.  Peter, when he recognized his sin of denial, went out and wept bitterly in sorrow for his sin.  Peter’s sin was forgiven, and he went on to be leader of the apostles; the first Pope.

   These two very different responses to sin speak to the love and mercy of our Lord.  Judas, who did not believe he could be forgiven, condemned himself to hell.  Peter, though he sinned in denying Jesus, sorrowed for his sin and was forgiven.

   I face much the same choice when I sin.  If I come to believe that my sin is so great that even Jesus can’t forgive, I have failed.  If I fall to my knees in sorrow, confident in the Lord’s love and mercy, forgiveness is mine.  Jesus told us that “there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15: 10).  All I need do is trust in His word and repent. 

I too often sin against You.

I am weak, unable to resist.

I come to You in sorrow for my failings.

In Your love, forgive me and take me to Yourself. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment