Monday, March 29, 2021

 Holy Week 

   “Behold we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes, and they will condemn him to death, and hand him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and scourged and crucified, and he will rise on the third day.” (Matt 20: 17 – 19) 

   Holy Week brings us to the climax of the Easter Season.  But before we get the jubilation and joy of Easter Sunday we much pass through the passion and death of our Lord.  Holy Week causes us to recall and meditate upon the suffering of our Lord, the pain, agony, and horrible death He would endure for our salvation.

   When I sit before the crucifix, I understand that it is my hands and feet that should have been nailed to the cross.  It is my side that should have been opened by the soldier’s lance.  It is for my sins that Jesus suffered so; to give me the opportunity of salvation and eternal life with Him.

   This week will be a week of prayer and contemplation.  Prayers of thanksgiving and gratitude for the Son of God who paid the price for my sins. Prayers for the wisdom to know God’s plan for me and the strength to carry it out.  Prayers for the grace to serve Him in all things.

   In contemplation I often try to place myself in the scripture, to become a part of it.  This week I will contemplate what my sins cost; the horrible pain Jesus suffered, the abandonment, rejection, mockery and death He endured.  To know that the nails driven through His hands and feet were caused by the sins I have and will commit.  In this way I can begin to understand the depth of His mercy and love.  In this way I can recognize that there is no path to God that does not include the cross.

   He died for me; He died for you; He died for all, that we may have the opportunity of eternal life.  This week will be one of sorrow for my Savior’s suffering.  I hunger for the joy of His resurrection. 

It should be my hands and feet nailed to the cross.

My side pierced by the soldier’s lance.

You took my place on the cross.

In Your love You saved me from condemnation. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment