Saturday, March 13, 2021

 God Knows Best 

   “I don’t understand what God is doing.  He knows.  We do not understand, but one thing I’m sure, He doesn’t make a mistake.”  (St. Teresa of Calcutta, “Do Something Beautiful for God”) 

   I sometimes think it would be great if God shared His plan with me.  Not everything, just those things that affect me directly.  But then I remember that nothing happens that doesn’t have some impact on all of us in some way.  A war thousands of miles away affects us; starvation in parts of the world causes us sorrow; the denial of basic human rights to all from conception to natural death is a travesty throughout the world.

   Just as often I contemplate why God allows such things to happen.  But again, it’s not my place to know, but to trust.  God tells me, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.” (Isaiah 55: 8).

   If I knew all of God’s plans would I still need faith?  Would trust and confidence in Him still be necessary?  Believing in God means trusting Him even when I can’t understand, having faith in His plan for me and for the world.  Whether in suffering or joy, pain or sorrow, there is a reason in God’s plan.  And as St. Mother Teresa says, He doesn’t make a mistake.

   I used to struggle, trying to understand, but I’ve found that I’m much better off accepting rather than seeking the why of what God does.  I find no peace in questioning, but great peace in trusting in Him and having faith that all things are best when left to God. 

Your ways are so far above mine.

I can never understand.

It’s not necessary for me to know.

It’s necessary for me to trust. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment