Tuesday, March 16, 2021

 God Has A Plan 

   “God has created me to do Him some definite service.  He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another.  I have my mission.  I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told in the next.” (St. John Henry Newman) 

   I don’t believe God does anything without purpose, nothing is purely by chance.  God’s plan is not given to me so all I can do is strive to give myself to Him so that He may use me according to His plan.

   We are planners, we plan our life, our work, our retirement.  It’s only natural that we would want to know God’s plan for us.  I know I do; I would love to know what He created me for if only to be better able to accomplish it.

   Some receive a clear call.  Perhaps to the priesthood, or ministry of some sort.  Maybe to the religious life as a monk in a monastery or nun in a convent.  Some are called to matrimony; some are called to celibacy.  I think most are simply called to follow His will, to submit our own will to His.

   I also believe there is a danger in trying too hard to discern God’s plan for us.  If He wishes us to know, we will know.  If we look at every idea that comes into our mind as the call of God, we risk being led astray.  Satan would love to convince us that our own personal desire is God’s desire and lead us down the path to destruction.

   God’s plan will become known when He chooses.  Maybe in this life, maybe in the next.  But if we live our lives always willing to follow His will, His plan for us will be fulfilled even though we may not know it. 

I trust in You.

I know there is a plan for me,

Though I may not know what it is.

May I achieve what You desire of me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment