Sunday, March 21, 2021

 To Die in Christ is to Live 

   “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat; but if it dies it produces much fruit.” (John 12: 24) 

   Some verses of scripture are richer than others.  In my opinion, this is one of the richest.  There is so much packed into this simple lesson from nature.

   There is the obvious lesson.  A grain of wheat, or any seed, can produce no fruit if it is simply held onto like a prize.  It must be planted in the ground where it will begin to sprout and grow.  Eventually, a plentiful harvest of wheat will arise from the planting of the tiny grains.

   This parable also speaks to the fruit to be produced by Christ’s sacrifice.  He too died and was placed in the tomb.  From that death and burial He arose again, ascended into heaven and took His place at the right hand of the Father.  From that death Christianity grew and continues to grow over two thousand years later.

   This scripture also speaks to you and me personally.  Unless we are willing to die to self and live for Christ, we will not produce the desired fruit.  By our baptism we died and rose again.  We became one with Christ, capable of producing great fruit.  But, like the grain of wheat we must die to self as well, giving our lives to the Lord to do His will.

   Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.” (Luke 9: 23 – 24).  If I am to save my eternal life, I must be willing to deny myself and offer my life to Jesus; to submit my will to Him.

   Like the grain of wheat, I must bury myself in Christ if I am to produce heavenly fruit and save my eternal life. 

You gave Your life that I might live.

I offer my life to You.

Let me bury myself in You.

Let me always follow You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment