Monday, January 17, 2022

 Eternal Happiness 

   Some seek continual happiness in this life, never understanding that it isn’t possible.  Happiness, even when it comes, is transient and is not the true happiness that God intended for us, it is a mere taste of what awaits us.  True happiness comes only in eternal life with Him.

   When they don’t fine the happiness they desire, they sometimes want to blame God.  When Job had lost his children, his wealth, and even his health his wife told him he should curse God and die.  Job’s reply is the one we must try to have in our hearts when we suffer in this life, “If we take happiness from God’s hand, must we not take sorrow too?” (Job 2: 10, Jerusalem Bible).

   We were created for happiness and lost it through sinful pride.  I think maybe that is why we sometimes want to blame God when we don’t have it.  Our pride tells us that it’s not our fault so it must be His.  This is foolishness; we should be expressing our gratitude for the happiness we have, and accepting any unhappiness as it honestly is, a part of our sinful life.

   I’ve been very happy in this life, and I’ve also been unhappy.  That is simply the way of humanity in this world.  But what I’ve found is that I can turn the unhappiness upside down by recognizing that it is only temporary, and that true happiness awaits me in the life to come. 

I have known happiness.

I’ve known sadness.

 This life consists of both.

 In the next life there is only happiness. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment