Friday, January 7, 2022

 The Friendship of Jesus 

   “The secret of holiness is friendship with Christ and faithful obedience to His will.” (Pope Benedict XVI­) 

   I think we are sometimes afraid to approach Jesus on a personal basis.  He is God and we are sinners, we see Him as our judge but not our friend.  True, He will judge us at our death, but He also wants a close personal relationship with each of us.

   During the years of His ministry He lived, traveled, ate, and slept with the apostles.  During that time they became close even though the apostles sometimes struggled to understand.  Before His passion and death He said to them, “You are my friends if you do what I command you.  I know longer call you slaves, because a slave does not know what his master is doing.  I have called you friends because I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.” (John 15: 14 – 15).

   If we do what He commands we are His friends.  What He commands is that we love God and neighbor.  If we strive to love God with all our heart, mind, and soul, and we love our neighbor as ourselves we are fulfilling His command.  It is only through this friendship and our efforts to follow His will that holiness is possible.  We can do nothing to gain sanctity without Him.  It is only in seeking His will that it is possible.

   In times of joy, He shares my joy; in times of sorrow, He shares my sorrow.  In all times, He is with me.  If I let Him, He will make me holy.  He is my friend. 

Lord, I look to You in all things.

Your friendship brings me joy.

It brings me holiness.

Let me always be Your friend. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment