Saturday, January 29, 2022

 Simple Prayer 

   Prayer should not be complicated it should be easy.  Prayer is meant to be a conversation with God, something from the heart, not just from memory.  I think too many times the “standard” prayers that we all pray become just an exercise in memory rather than a meeting with God in our soul.

   There is certainly a place for the well-known, often repeated prayers we all use.  I find great comfort in the Rosary and the Divine Mercy prayer.  The prayers and meditations of the Divine Office are a regular part of my day.  However, Paul tells us to, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5: 16 – 18).  Therefore, I need to find a way of keeping God foremost in my mind throughout the day.

   I find that remembering to say “thank you” for the simple things of life is important.  Time with family or friends, a safe journey, or just feeling good this day are all reasons to thank God for they are blessings He has bestowed.  He deserves my thanks for the simple things I sometimes take for granted, for they too are His gifts to me.

   Just as important is “I’m sorry” for the times I’ve failed in some way to do His will.  To express my desire to never offend my God and ask His help in avoiding sin reminds me that I am incapable of any good except by God’s will and teaches me humility.

   I will never be able to have God always in mind, but acknowledging Him in all I do, even those that seem unimportant, helps me create a habit of turning to Him in all things; of trying to pray always. 

I go through life in a daze sometimes.

I am a mess of contradictions.

Help me Lord to always turn to You.

To pray and give you thanks always. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment