Monday, January 24, 2022

 Living for Christ 

   “Why do you recite my commandments and profess my covenant with your mouth?  You hate discipline; you cast my words behind you!” (Psalm 50: 16 – 17) 

   Standing and professing the Nicene Creed, in which we state our faith, is of no use if I don’t do my best to live by that statement.  If I am not willing to put my best efforts into living for God I have no right to claim Christianity as my faith.

   It concerns me when I see those in the public eye profess a belief in Catholicism or any other Christian faith while living their lives so obviously ignoring the tenets of that faith.  They seem to want to pick and choose which of God’s words apply to them and which don’t.  I expect that it will not go well for them when they stand before the Judge, Jesus Christ.

   But just as guilty are those who quietly go about their life presenting themselves as faithful Christians while continuing to support sinful acts which are abominations before God.  It is really of little value to attend Mass and talk the talk if I am not doing all I can to walk the walk, striving to live according to God’s will and His commandments.

   This is not to say that Christians must be perfect.  No one is perfect except God and in His great mercy He will forgive our failings.  We are to try our best knowing that we will sometimes fail, confident in God's great love and forgiveness.

   Words are easy to say, living by those words is difficult at times.  But words alone can’t save me.  Only by living for God rather self can I hope for the joys of heaven. 

Saying I love You is easy.

Living by those words can be hard.

Strengthen me Lord.

Guide me on the path You have chosen. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment