Sunday, January 23, 2022

 Love of Christ 

   In chapter four of the Rule of Benedict we are told that we are “To prefer nothing to the love of Christ.”  I’ve read these words often and considered prayerfully how I am to  incorporate them in my life as an aspiring Benedictine Oblate. 

   I believe there are two ways of practicing the intent of these words.  First, I should prefer nothing to the love that Christ has for me.  The love that was shown when He became man, lived, preached, and died for me.  I am to recognize that nothing in this world is of greater importance than the fact that Christ loves me.  Not fame, not fortune, nothing.

   It can be so easy to look to the pleasures and joys of this world as important and desirable and, to some small degree, they are.  But they are temporary and will offer no value in the life to come.  They are of no use in furthering my spiritual life.  Only the love of Christ can bring me salvation.

   Secondly, I think this admonition tells me that I must never place anything above the love I am to have for Christ.  Though I can’t love Him with the same love as He has for me, I am to love him above all else.  I must never allow worldly concerns and desires to rise above my obligation and duty to love Jesus.  Loving Him must always be the first priority.

   Christ loves me and there is nothing more important than His love.  In return I must love Him above all else.  This, to me, is what St. Benedict meant when he wrote that I am “To prefer nothing to the love of Christ.” 

Lord, You love me completely.

There is no greater joy.

Increase my love for You.

That I may love You with all that I am. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment