Wednesday, January 5, 2022

The Theme Song of Hell 

   “I’ve lived a life that’s full.  I’ve traveled each and every highway.  And more, much more than that, I did it my way.” (“I Did It My Way”, lyrics by Paul Anka) 

   Frank Sinatra had a big hit with this song, as did some others.  It tells of the life of someone who is reminiscing as they near the end of their life, quite proud that they lived as they pleased, going where they wished, doing whatever they wanted; a person who served only self.  The most tragic part of the song is the final verse: 

“For what is a man, what has he got?  If not himself then he has naught.  Not to say the things that he truly feels, and not the words of someone who kneels.  Let the record show, I took all the blows and did it my way.” 

   An ego driven, selfish life such as the one the song relates is a common occurrence in a world where Satan dominates so many.  When we say I can choose or I can decide, we are repeating the mistake made by our first parents in the Garden of Eden.  This attitude removes God from our lives and places us firmly in the hands of Satan.

   Society is full of those who live in the manner of this song.  They do as they choose, seeking their own way, with no concern for the will of God.  They may have a fabulously successful earthly life, but mortality will take all they have gained from them.  They would be far better off seeking their rewards in heaven.

   There are many paths available to us and we can certainly decide which to follow as we will.  However, there is only one path that will lead us to heaven, the path God places before us.  Rather than doing it my way, I prefer to try to my best to do it God’s way.

 

There are many paths in life.

Most lead to destruction.

Only one leads me to You.

Help me to walk only that path.

 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment