Sunday, January 2, 2022

 Sharing Faith 

   How does one explain faith to someone who doesn’t have it?  It’s almost like trying to explain the color of the sky to someone who has been blind from birth; it is nearly impossible.  However, if we are to be the evangelistic people we are intended to be we must somehow try to share our faith with others.

   Faith cannot be proven in the eyes of the world.  They would say there is no empirical evidence to support it.  They place no credence in scripture or miracles, refusing to even consider the reality of faith.  My response is that the evidence is overwhelming if they will only open their eyes.

   Christianity is based on faith in One who was rejected by His peers, condemned by the religious community, betrayed, abandoned, and hung on a cross to die as a criminal.  In the world’s view that is hardly a basis for faith.  However, Christianity has lasted for over two thousand years.  That alone is an excellent proof that faith is real and that faith in Christ is well-founded.

   I can’t explain the peace that comes from my faith.  I can’t explain how, even in times of pain and sorrow, I still trust in the Lord and grow even closer to Him.  I could never make clear to a non-believer how unleavened bread and wine becomes the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ in the miracle of the Eucharist.  But I know the joy and peace that comes when I receive Him into myself.

   Franz Werfel, a Czech born poet, playwright, and novelist wrote, “For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.  For those who do not believe, no explanation is possible.”  I don’t have the answer of how to clearly define faith to those who do not have it, but I know it is real; my eternal life depends on it. 

Lord, open our hearts

Increase our faith our faith in You.

Help us to share that faith.

That others may come to know You. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment