Monday, January 10, 2022

 The Peace of the Lord 

   “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give it to you.” (John 14: 27) 

   I often spend time in the adoration chapel before the Blessed Sacrament.  Sometimes it’s just a few minutes, most often quite a bit longer.  I pray, I read, I simply contemplate the love of God.

   It is during these times that I am most at peace.  It’s almost as if the chapel is a shelter from the world.  A place where worldly concerns and cares are not allowed.  No matter what is going on in the world around me, it all seems to fade away when I come before Jesus in the Eucharist.

   People all over the world are seeking peace.  Sadly, they are most often expecting or hoping to find peace in the world.  But history tells us that there have been very few times of peace in the world and even those few lasted for only a short time.  The world is a sinful place and there can be no peace in sin.

   I wish there were some way I could explain what happens when I am in the adoration chapel.  However, for those who do not recognize the true presence of our Lord in the Eucharist no explanation can be given.  I suspect even some Catholics, those who may doubt the real presence, still do not find the peace they are seeking in adoration.

   I can’t explain, I can’t define the peace and calm that comes over me in adoration, all I can do is experience it and treasure it.  How I wish everyone could come to know this kind of peace; what a difference it could make in the world. 

You give me peace Lord.

A peace unknown to the world.

Fill me always with Your peace.

 

Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment