Wednesday, January 12, 2022

 Speak Lord 

   “When Samuel went to sleep in his place, the Lord came and revealed his presence, calling out as before, ‘Samuel, Samuel!’  Samuel answered, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’” (1 Samuel 3: 9 – 10) 

   How does the Lord speak to me?  It may be through scripture, or in something I read.  Sometimes I hear Him speak to me in the words of a homily at Mass.  Though it is the priest’s voice I hear it is God’s word that touches my heart.  At Mass this morning it was both through scripture and the homily of my priest.

   The Lord reaches out to us in many ways.  When God called Samuel he thought it was his mentor, Eli, who was calling.  When I hear or read something that somehow touches my heart, something that I continue to consider, I believe that it is perhaps God reaching out to me just as He was reaching out to Samuel.

   In his homily the priest asked, “When you speak to God or to Jesus, do you think of them as with you or as distant?”  In my heart I know He is with me, but how close is something else to consider.  I believe that the best prayer time is when I consider that He is sitting right here beside me.  This is how I prefer to think of my Lord.  Not only as my savior, but as my best friend.  One who is always near to me, who speaks to me in the quiet of my heart.

   I’ve never known the joy of hearing God’s voice as I hear other’s voices, but I know His word penetrates my heart, my soul, and my mind.  If I listen, if I pay close attention, He will fill me with His word.  He will reach out to me just as He did to Samuel. 

You speak to me in many ways.

Help me to always hear You.

Open my heart to Your voice.

To hear what You wish to say to me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment