Wednesday, January 26, 2022

 Listen 

   “Listen with the ear of your heart.” (St. Benedict of Nursia) 

   I go to Mass, I listen to the readings, but I’m ashamed to admit how often I can’t remember what they were by the time I get to the car after Mass.

   Listening is not just hearing the words.  To really listen involves opening the mind and heart to not only hear but internalize what is begin said.  At least for me it requires a conscious effort, a desire to shut out distractions and really listen.  It involves not just hearing the words but trying to understand how they apply to me.

   I think part of the problem is we are constantly hearing something, and we’ve learned to let it “go in one ear and out the other” as the saying goes.  With most of what we hear in the world today that might not be a bad idea, but with the word of God it’s a terrible one.  He speaks to us through the scripture.  The voice we hear is that of the reader, but the words are from God.

   Listening is like many other things in life.  If I want to be a good listener I must put the effort into doing so properly.  I must silence my mind and the distractions in order to truly hear the word so that it can lead me to my Lord. 

I’m easily distracted Lord.

Help me clear my mind.

Let Your word take root within me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment