Monday, January 31, 2022

 Knowing God 

   There is nothing more important in life that preparing for death and what is to come after.  Nothing in this world will matter when that day comes.  The best way to prepare for the next life is to come to know God in this one.

   If I want to know someone better I must spend time with them.  I must listen to them and share my thoughts with them.  A long-lasting relationship cannot be achieved unless I am willing to put in the time an effort to make it so.  It is no different in coming to know God.

   Prayer is conversation with God.  It is through prayer that I can share my hopes and desires with Him even though He already knows everything about me.  In prayer I can bring to Him my concerns and unhappiness, my joys and my heartaches.  Though He is fully aware of all of this I believe He wants me to speak with Him about it.

   Just as important is taking the time to stop talking and listen.  In the quiet the voice of God is more easily heard.  Just as Elijah found God in the light silent sound (see 1 Kings 11 – 13), I find God in the silence of my prayer time.  I am closest to Him in the solitude, and it is in these times that I come to know Him better.  In prayer, in scripture, in holy readings He speaks to me.

   God is present within me.  He wants me to come to Him in all things as I would to my closest, most trusted friend.  He wants me to know Him as best as I can in this life so that I can know Him as He truly is in the next. 

I want to know You better.

I want to be closer to You.

In prayer we meet.

In prayer we can be as one. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment