Thursday, January 13, 2022

 Humility 

   Humility is a virtue, but society often sees it as a weakness.  One who practices humility is seen as unable or unwilling to stand up for oneself.  I see humility as a strength given by God to better understand my relationship with Him.

   Living with humility doesn’t mean that I am to become a door mat, allowing others to dominate me.  The humility of the saints is well known, but they had the courage and strength to accept ridicule, persecution, and even death rather than deny their faith.  There was nothing weak in their defense of the faith.

   Humility also doesn’t mean that I am of no value; it recognizes why I have value.  I am a fallen man, a sinner who cannot avoid sin in this world.  Yet God loves me so much that He sent His only Son to die for me in order to offer me salvation and eternal life.  I am highly valued by my Lord though I know that I am unworthy.  Not only does this remind me always of His great love, but it urges me to live according to His will, still knowing that I will fail and again need His mercy and forgiveness.

   I look to St. Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus, as the perfect example of Christian humility.  He lived his life in quiet obedience to God’s will for him.  He never doubted, never questioned, he simply did what God asked.  We know very little about Joseph, not a single word of his is recorded in scripture, but even that fact speaks to his humility before the Lord.

   Whether the world understands or not is of little concern; humility is a virtue, a strength that brings me closer to my Lord.  He loves me and there is nothing that can afford more value to a simple man than the love of God. 

Lord, I am humble before You.

Without You I can do no good.

I have worth only because of Your love.

Teach me the strength of humility. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment