Monday, May 2, 2022

 Accepting Our Weaknesses 

   I recently spoke with someone who has battled alcohol and drug addiction for most of her life.  She is once again newly clean and says she will stay with the AA/NA program that has helped so many.  I pray that she will follow through.

   I was concerned when she expressed her anger that some at the meeting tried to explain to her that she was an addict and would be an addict for the rest of her life.  Their intent was to help her understand that there is no cure, only abstinence.  She was insulted that they had tried to “label” her.  I tried to explain that they weren’t belittling her but trying to help her understand that this would be a life-long battle.

   Our weaknesses may also be a gift from God.  As odd as that sounds I believe God sometimes uses our weaknesses to bring us closer to Him; to trust in Him rather than self.  St. Paul expressed this beautifully when he wrote, “Therefore, that I might not become too elated, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated.  Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.’” (2 Cor 12: 7 – 9).

   We often face problems that we cannot solve on our own.  As long as we continue to fight the battle alone, we will fail.  When we turn to the Lord and trust in Him, He will not allow us to be overcome by our weakness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment