Saturday, May 21, 2022

 In Disguise 

   As I sat meditating before the Blessed Sacrament this morning a thought came to mind; wherever I may be Jesus is there.  He, and the angels, sometimes come to us in disguise.

   Once, when driving home from work in a pouring rain, I saw a middle-aged man walking along the road.  He was wearing a lightweight jacket and getting soaking wet in the cold rain.  I usually don’t pick up strangers on the road, but something told me I should make an exception this time.

   I pulled over and rolled down the window, offering him a ride.  He smiled and got in the car.  When I tried to talk to him he indicated that he was unable to hear or speak, so we drove on in silence for several miles.

   When I came to an intersection I let him know that I was going straight, and he signaled that he would get out and go on his way.  He silently thanked me, got out of the car and started walking away.  Thankfully the rain had let up by this time.

   I glanced back up at the traffic light to see if was still red and then looked in the direction the man had been going.  He was nowhere in sight even though it had only been a few seconds since He had gotten out of my car.

   This happened nearly twenty years ago, but it still comes to mind every now and then.  I am reminded of what Saint Paul wrote, “Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels.” (Hebrews 13: 2).  Was the gentleman I picked up an angel, or even Jesus Himself?  I’ll never know but I still think of that day and wonder.

   Truly, Jesus and angels sometimes come to us in disguise.  If we approach the strangers we meet with this thought in mind, maybe we will begin to treat everyone with the respect they are due as children of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment