Friday, May 27, 2022

 Beyond Understanding 

   “How rich are the depths of God – how deep his wisdom and knowledge – and how impossible to penetrate his motives or understand his methods! (Isaiah 11: 33) 

   Over the years I studied quite a lot to learn more about God and about my faith.  The knowledge is good, but what it has taught me is that no matter how much I may learn I will never understand the ways and purposes of God.  His ways are so far above mine, they are far beyond my understanding.

   So much about religion and devotion to God is based on faith and faith alone.  I trust in Him even though I can’t even prove He exists by human standards.  There is ample evidence of His presence, but many refuse to see it.  They want proof and the proof they want is not readily available.  We can be certain that two plus two equals four, but how do we give proof of the fact that God is within each of us?

   I have absolutely no doubt that when the priest performs the act of consecration Jesus becomes truly present in that little wafer of unleavened bread and in the wine.  I can’t provide the proof others may seek, but my faith tells me that proof is very clearly provided in the words of Jesus. (See John 6: 26 – 70).  If I believe scripture is divinely inspired, which I do, how can I not believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and all the other truths of the Lord.

   There are so many things that I can’t “prove” about God and my faith, but I accept that they are true.  How can I accept these things that I cannot prove?  By faith in my Lord and my God.  Without such faith Christianity does not exist.

 

   “Who could ever know the mind of the Lord?  Who could ever be his counselor?  Who could ever give him anything or lend him anything?  All that exists comes from him, all is by him and for him.  To him be glory for ever!  Amen.  (Isaiah 11: 34 – 36)

No comments:

Post a Comment