Tuesday, May 10, 2022

 The Presence of God 

   “How high you are in the heights of heaven, how deep you are in the depths.  From no place are you absent.” (St. Augustine, “Confessions”) 

   There is no place I can go where the Lord is not.  The heavens are His, the depths of the ocean are His.  On the highest mountains, in the lowest valley His presence is ever there.

   All the creatures of the earth belong to Him, He created them.  The birds of the air, the fish of the sea, the serpents that slither on the earth and all the animals in this world are by His design.  He created them; they belong to Him.

   I look at the sky and I see the clouds that bring the rain needed for crops to grow.  At night the glory of God is on full display in the stars and galaxies visible to the naked eye.  As technology improves we are seeing more and more of God’s creation farther and farther away.  And yet some would credit chance for all that exists.

  Though many try to deny it, He is ever present within us as well.  We are His, created in His image.  We are the caretakers of all He has created.  Sometimes we forget and begin to think we are in charge.  The foolishness of that thought is clear in how messed up the world has been and remains.  If we would turn to God and give Him the reins, the world could be renewed. 

“Where could I go to escape your spirit?  Where could I flee from your presence?  If I climb the heavens, you are there, there too, if I lie in Sheol.  If I flew to the point of sunrise or westward across the sea, your hand would still be guiding me, your right hand holding me.  If I asked the darkness to cover me, and light to become night around me, that darkness would not be dark to you, night would be as light as day.” (Psalm 139: 7- 12).

No comments:

Post a Comment