Tuesday, May 17, 2022

 Growing in Faith 

   “If  you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” (Martin Luther King, Jr.) 

   If I am not moving forward in my spiritual life I am falling behind.  God did not create me to be complacent and just get by, but to grow in faith and love of Him and my neighbor.

   There are so many ways to continue to grow in faith.  First and foremost is an active life in the Church.  By this I don’t mean getting up each Sunday to go to Mass because is it an “obligation” but waking up joyfully anticipating Mass and continuing to live in that spirit throughout the week.  Daily Mass, although difficult for some is another exceptional way to continue growing in faith.  Just an hour spent before the Blessed Sacrament in adoration can do wonders.

   Thousands of books have been written over the years to share personal experiences in faith development.  Many saints have written of their journey, providing encouragement and hope to those who may be struggling.  Of course, the best of all books is the bible; the path to salvation is in scripture.  As many times as I read the bible I never fail to find new and different ways to grow.

   Christian fellowship is vital to growth in faith.  I am blessed to have some of the best friends a man could wish for who support me in my faith as I try to support them in theirs.  We gather for dinner each month and spend time enjoying a great meal, great company, and the love of God.  The company of like people helps everyone grow and provides support during difficult times.  Together and with God, we can overcome any obstacle.

   Even though it sometimes seems as if I am at a stalemate, no longer growing as I would wish, I know that God is with me always and will lead me to Himself.  Quiet, unhurried times, just enjoying the presence of God, are a tremendous means of growth as well.  Like a garden, our faith will continue to grow as long as it is properly tended and cared for, producing good works.

No comments:

Post a Comment