Monday, May 23, 2022

 What’s Next? 

“I am going now to prepare a place for you, and after I have gone and prepared you a place, I shall return to take you with me; so that where I am you may be also.” (John 14: 3) 

   Christianity is based on hope; the hope that Jesus gives when He tells us He is preparing a place for us and will come and take us to Himself.  Without this hope I wonder what meaning can be found in life.

   Many who claim there is no God seem to believe that we simply cease to exist when this life is over.  No heaven, no hell, we just are no more.  I find that concept extremely depressing.

   I’ve asked atheists to explain to me why we should not be totally immoral if there is no God and no punishment for our wrong-doings.  If my neighbor has a better car, why not just take it?  And if they resist, simply kill them.  Why should I remain faithful to my spouse when sexual relations with many could be so enjoyable?  I could be certain that my spouse would not mind, because they would be doing the same.  They usually don’t have an answer but reply with some incoherent statement about innate knowledge of right and wrong.

   But if there is no God there is no right or wrong, no good or evil.  If we are only slightly different from every other animal, why do we concern ourselves with right or wrong?  Shouldn’t we just live by our instincts like all the rest?  If we are merely a higher level animal, why do we care for some and hate and mistreat others?  Animals don’t act in that manner, why should we?

   Belief in God and His promises, teaches us that there is a right and wrong, good and evil do exist.  Christianity urges us to overcome our base desires and live not just for self but for others, for God and our neighbor.  We are convinced there is a better life to come if we live this one properly.

   What’s next, oblivion or eternity?  Some say they believe there is nothing after death; I sorrow for their loss.  I choose to believe and hope for eternal joy in the presence of my Lord.  In fact, I’m betting my life on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment