Wednesday, May 25, 2022

 His Presence 

   “If anyone loves me he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make our home with him.” (John 14: 23) 

   If I am to believe Jesus, He and the Father have come and made their home with me.  He testifies that if I love Him, God will live within me.  I do love Him, and I absolutely believe my Lord.  Therefore, I believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit dwells within me.

   While I am confident of this truth, I must admit that I’ve never physically “felt” this indwelling within me.  Some of the saints have spoken of knowing and feeling His presence within them.  Some Christians I've known speak of it as well.  I’m not sure how this occurs, but I would never doubt them; God gives His gifts to whom He will, when He will.  Not all receive the same gifts.

   Some of the saints have also written of a dryness of spirit when they no longer felt God’s presence within them.  They recognize that He has not deserted them, and it is in those times that they say prayer and trust in God is most important.  Saint Teresa of Calcutta wrote of the spiritual dryness she experienced for many years, but never doubted His presence within her.

   Just as I’ve often wished that God would just speak plainly to me and tell me what I need to do to please Him, I also wish He would somehow assure me of His presence within me.  But faith doesn’t depend on physical evidence or challenging God to prove Himself.  It rests on trust and confidence in Him and His word.

   Jesus said, “You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test.” (Matt 4: 7).  To have a “physical” aware of God’s presence within me is not necessary; He is with me and will remain with me throughout this life.  He has said so, and He is truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment