Tuesday, August 9, 2022

 He Thirsts for Us 

   “After this, aware that everything was now finished, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled, Jesus said, ‘I thirst’” (John 19: 28) 

   On the cross, dying for our sins, Jesus said “I thirst”.  After receiving the sour wine, He said His final words, “It is finished.” (John 19: 30)

   I’ve often wondered about our Lord’s thirst.  I have no doubt that he was physically thirsty, but He would be dead in just a few moments.  The sour wine He was given Him would not have quenched His thirst, so why ask for it?  I think it was something more that our Lord was thirsting for.  I believe He was, and is, thirsting for us, for our faith and belief in Him.

   The parables of Luke, chapter 15, the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the prodigal son all speak to the joy of finding one who was lost.  The parable of the lost sheep concludes with the statement, “I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance. (Luke 15: 7).

   A similar statement appears in the parable of the lost coin, and the joy and happiness of the prodigal son’s father upon his return is undeniable, “But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.” (Luke 15: 32).

   I believe Jesus thirsts for the lost sheep, the son who had gone astray.  He thirsts for those who are dead because of sin, for those who are lost and need to find their way. He thirsts for you and for me. And when His thirst is satisfied, there is great joy and rejoicing in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment