Tuesday, August 2, 2022

 Living for the Word 

   “Be doers of the word and not hearers only, deluding yourselves.” (James 1: 22) 

   If I am not doing all I can to live by the word of God I don’t believe I can truly call myself Christian.  I recognize that I am imperfect and will therefore fail in my efforts from time to time, but I must make the effort.

   I would never allow a surgeon to operate on me who had spent His entire career researching surgery, publishing papers about surgery, but never practicing surgery.  His knowledge might be great but it’s practical application is non-existent.

   A pianist with a PHD in music will never be a great pianist by practicing but once a week.  Knowledge does not amount to application.  The same applies to athletes who wish to make the Olympics.  Unless they are willing to train, practice, and maintain a proper diet, they will never reach their goal, nor should they.

   Imagine for a moment a married couple who once a week tell each other of their love but never express it at any other time.  That marriage will not last.  Yet many people seem to think that going to church once a week and ignoring God for the rest of the week is all that is required of a Christian.

   Being doers of the word not only leads us to heaven but makes the journey much more enjoyable.  I’ve found that the more I offer to God the more I am at peace.  The trials and difficulties of this life seem less burdensome, easier to bear.  I come to better realize that this world and all that is in it will pass away, but the word of God is eternal.

   There is peace to be found in obeying God, in doing what He asks of us.  It is His peace that we receive, a peace the world can never give.

No comments:

Post a Comment