Monday, August 8, 2022

 Trust God’s Plan 

   St. Antony of the Desert once asked God, “Lord, how is it that some die young and others grow old and sick?  Why are there some poor and some rich?  Why are there those who are bad and rich and oppress the poor?”  He heard a voice saying to him, “Antony, worry about yourself; these other matters are up to God, and it will not do you any good to know them.”  (Excerpt from “The Desert Fathers, Saying of the Early Christian Monks.”

   I think one of the hardest things to do is what God asked of St. Antony, to concern myself with my own spiritual well-being and leave fixing the world to God.  It’s hard to see the evil in the world, the immorality and the growing lack of faith in God and not dwell upon it.  But it really is God’s domain, not mine.

   When I consider it, I have more than enough to do just trying to live my own life according to His will.  By allowing myself to be become overly concerned with worldly affairs it’s easy to lose focus on what really matters; my relationship with my Lord.

   This doesn’t mean that I should ignore those who need help or not try to do whatever I can to make things better where possible.  It simply means that I must recognize my limitations.  I must place my trust in God and His plan, certain that all will be accomplished according to His will.

   The troubles of the world can be vexing and discouraging but it is best to put our hope in prayer and trust that He has everything under control.  He is God, we are not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment