Sunday, August 21, 2022

 Lead Me 

   “O search me God, and know my heart.  O test me, and know my thoughts.  See that my path is not wicked, and lead me in the way of eternity." (Psalm 139: 23 – 24) 

   Over the years I’ve made innumerable decisions, some were good, but just as many were not.  Most decisions made in this world can be corrected, the damage that may have been done repaired.  However, there are some decisions that can never be corrected; those are the ones I fear.

   It is arrogance for me to even consider that I know the best decisions when it comes to those that will determine my eternal home.  I dare not take that responsibility upon myself and chance choosing a path that leads me away from God.  Only by seeking His will in my life can I hope to come to the heavenly home He has prepared for me.

   There are many ways to better know His will, to let Him lead me on the path He has chosen.  Study of scripture, regular attendance at Mass, reading the many stories of the saints and considering the life they lead are just a few.  Above all else, there is prayer.  I must pray that I will hear His voice in the scripture, guiding me; at Mass I need to listen attentively to the readings from scripture and the lesson of the priest’s homily.  When reading of the saint’s and their lives, I must pray for a better understand of how their lives can help me in leading a life of faith.

   Only God can be trusted to always lead me on the right path, the path that leads to His heavenly kingdom.  But if I am to let God lead I must first of all pray for humility; the humility to know my weaknesses and sinfulness.  I must also pray for obedience; the willingness to obey His word and follow wherever He leads.  If I can do this, if I can reject the ways of the world, seeking only His ways, He will lead me home,

No comments:

Post a Comment