Monday, August 29, 2022

 Who Will Remember? 

   “If you knew how quickly people would forget about you after your death, you will not seek in your life to please anyone but God.” (St. John Chrysostom) 

   It’s probably best to keep in mind how insignificant we truly are in the overall scheme of things.  Self-importance and the desire to be known and remembered can become the driving force in life, encouraging us to do things that will do us very little, if any good.  By always reaching for the brass ring we can do much harm to ourselves and, most importantly, to our relationship with God.

   We may become wealthy, but one day someone else will have all the wealth we have amassed.  We may become famous, but the fame will fade as soon as we are no longer in the spotlight and we will become just another washed up has-been.

   When I leave this world there will be very few who will know, and even fewer who will remember me five years later.  My family, a few friends perhaps, but no one else.  To me this is a great lesson in humility.  In the big picture I am not very important except to the precious few who love me, and that's OK.

   Being unimportant, being unknown doesn’t bother me because there is One who will never forget, the One to whom I truly am important, my God and Father in heaven.  There is a place reserved for me in His kingdom.  In fact, He loves me so much that He sent His only Son to die for my sins so that I might be able to join Him in the place He has prepared for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment